30.11.2023 16:00 – 18:30
Aalto University Hybrid Stage, Harald Herlin Learning Centre (K-floor) & Online.
Otaniementie 9, 02150 Espoo, Finland
Register latest 29.11.2023
Event language English
Clothing is a crucial aspect of human identity and cultural expression. However, the fashion industry's environmental impact is alarming, as it generates 10% of global greenhouse gas emissions. The majority of garments end up incinerated or in landfills, and half a million tons of plastic microfibers enter the oceans annually.
Urgent systemic shifts are essential to counteract this. Out of Fashion discusses the steps we need to take to get rid of fast fashion.
Speakers & schedule
- 16:00 New fashion paradigm. Professor Kirsi Niinimäki, Aalto University (Finland)
- Abandon the concept of fashion. Stephan Wallaschkowski, Leuphana University & Bochum University of Applied Sciences (Germany)
- How smart can our future textiles be? Doctoral researcher Sofia Guridi, Aalto University Bioinnovation Center (Finland)
- Fashion Futures 2040: scenarios and degrowth. Dr. Katia Dayan Vladimirova, University of Geneva (Switzerland)
- 17:25 Panel & questions from the audience
- 18:00 Stage program ends, mingling begins
- 18:30 Afterparty
More information: Hanna-Mari Ylinen, Aalto Networking Platform, hanna-mari.ylinen (at) aalto.fi